Monday, April 19, 2010

Covers off Boats!


We took the covers off all three boats today! I am not sure what is better, taking them off or putting them back on in the fall. Each one is great, although a different excitement. I can't imagine why I was so ready last fall to cover them, only that I was. Now I can't wait to get them in the water.

That first smell of the boats when you go down in the cabin, a mixture of old wood, maybe a little motor oil, a hint of bilge and some mildew! Not a bad smell, but a unique one. It brings back all the fun that we have had in the boat over the years. It reminds me of exploring boats as a kid. The smell is always the same and the memories perfect.

This year, the water has been open for a month already, so it has warmed to the usual level of about June 1st! That means by June, it may be swim-able this year. It takes a long time to get to 40 degrees, which it is already, but then goes up fast with all the sun and warmer weather. We are aiming for May 15th for having at least 1 boat ready, and probably earlier with a little luck. Early June may be prime water temps already for nice comfortable sailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment